Sunday, October 02, 2005

Pressing On

Work on Zion continues. I completed the first seven chapters, and after finishing chapter 8, I'll have finished the first section of the book with a daunting task before me: the entire middle section will have to be completely rewritten. Why? While writing the second draft, I realized the catalyst that forced my characters from point A to point B isn't sufficient for them to take the long, difficult journey further research indicated they would have to travel. So I had to come up with another one. Several chapters are affected, and I'm considering a NaNo approach for the first draft. Worked the first time around!

And speaking of NaNoWriMo: TODAY'S THE DAY! Sign up just began for NaNoWriMo 2005. I just signed on and updated my profile, (added, then removed my age. What was I thinking!) This year's goal is to write the first draft of a story that's been running through my mind since 1995.

Why write another story while trying to get my current work finished? The whole NaNo experience jumpstarts and re-energizes my writing schedule. I'm hoping the story will flow fast and smooth: I'm not writing a historical piece, little, if no, research is needed beyond what I already know, and for the most part, I have the entire story mapped out in my head. The hard part is writing 50,000 words in a month! Will I end up eating my words? I'll keep you posted.

I'd love to hear from you if you're participating in NaNoWriMo. After all, misery loves company!

No comments: