Thursday, December 22, 2005

Where I've Been

It's been over two months since my last update but there's a good reason for the lapse: I was participating in the 2005 National Novel Writing Event!

Because I was working on Marching to Zion, the intent of this year's novel was to focus on my areas of weakness: dialog and description; important elements for a novel. So I took an idea that I conceived back in 1995 and finally wrote the story during this year's NaNoWriMo event. The result was incredible!

Not only did I write the story in 40 days, and finish NaNo with the highest word count in the state of South Carolina, (bear with me, it's the only thing I can brag about) but I ended up with a story that absolutely blows me away; I love it! So does the person who volunteered to read thought it as each chapter was finished. Oh happy me!

Because I focused on dialog and description, the story opened up from the very beginning. Characters and backdrops came alive. It was an incredible experience and I can't wait to finish the second draft that I'm currently working on.

I plan to resume work on Zion but it's obvious that my writing style has (thankfully) improved. I can't wait to see the final product for both books!

More later!

No comments: