Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Keeping On

My "rejection" letter from the publisher arrived several weeks ago. I announced the news to friends, and immediately noticed an odd silence. I finally asked one person what was up and she told me she wasn't sure how to respond. I told her, "say, congratulations!"

A rejection doesn't necessarily mean an author is a bad writer. Possible reasons for receiving this response include: the time isn't right for that piece in light of market trends; the material doesn't fit the publisher's needs; the author did a terrible job on the proposal. Receiving a rejection does indicate the author is seriously striving to publish their work. Receiving a "no" is part of that process.

So, congratulate me--I reached for my goal! It didn't happen this time, but it will. I'm confident of that.

No comments: