Thursday, January 17, 2008

More, uh, Resources. Yeah, That's It

I was serious when I said I would cut back on writing expenses in 2009 if I failed to elevate my writing to publishing or, at the least, award winning status in 2008. That's right, no more conferences, books, writing magazine subscriptions, or membership dues outside of ACFW until I finally make a sale.

And being the organized planner that I am, I'm preparing for the possible drought by stocking up on resources now. But I'm trying to be smart about it. I recently received an Amazon gift certificate, and instead of purchasing Playing for Pizza, Rhett Butler's People, or Stephen Hawkins A Briefer History of Time (which I'm dying to have), I wisely bought Stein on Writing, and How to Write a D**m Good Novel. Both come highly recommended by authors and others in the industry and are considered excellent resources.

I intend to purchase a few more books before the end of the year, but only those which I feel will improve my writing. I'm looking for a good resource on setting and description. The two books I found on Amazon had negative feedback with valid points, so I'll have to peruse them before I buy.

I may be stocking up, but I want only the best resources to help me along on this journey.

No comments: