Wednesday, May 27, 2009

GWS

We're in Pennsylvania where hubby is attending a conference. While he's off listening to lectures, I'm revising the first draft of the latest chapter of my WIP. One of the things I have to look for is the GWS, aka, goes without saying. That's the shortcut my crit group uses to point out extraneous words. Most of us know the most common: stand up (one always stands up unless they're in the midst of a military maneuver and they need to stand down.) So saying "stand" is sufficient. Also, sit down (same as the above. Brohaugh's Write Tight has a long list of them.)

The common terms are easy to find, it's the subtle ones that get me:

An atrium extending to the ceiling six floors above them provided height.

I'd already stated the characters walked inside the building, so it goes without saying the atrium is above them.

An atrium extending to the ceiling six floors above provided height.

Another example: She turned and looked behind (subject).

If she turned, it's obvious she did it to see someone or something that had been behind her. So, She turned, is sufficient.

Next: Mason closed his suitcase and zipped it shut.

Saying shut isn't necessary since everyone knows zippers are used to close things. So:

Mason closed his suitcase and zipped it.

There's more. I'll post them here as I find them.

No comments: