Monday, July 27, 2009

The Writing Life In the Midst of Life

I just returned home from yet another trip. This was my fifth major journey this year and honey, I'm tired. I can barely think, much less create, so I didn't accomplish a lot when it came to new prose. But I didn't push everything in my writing life aside because of it.

In addition to critiquing chapters for others, I revised as much as I could on my current project. And when my mind turned to mush, I read.

I've been working through Monica Wood's, Description, and oh my. The first part of the book is a bit sluggish, but I couldn't get enough of the second part. If you haven't read this yet, I highly encourage you to do so. If you're feeling lazy, head to the chapter on Description and Point of View and don't stop reading until you've reach the end. It's one of those, "I wish I'd read that when I first started writing!" things.

Next on my writing reading list...I'm not sure. Either Dialogue or Stein on Writing. I know, I know, I should have read Stein when I started this journey, but I didn't learn about it until much later. By then, it was on a list. I'm sure I'll regret that, but at least I'm reading it now.

No comments: