Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Few Pics from Our SC Journey

It should take a few days to sort through and process our photos, but I pulled out a few pictures of particular interest to me. As previously mentioned, we had two goals in mind for this trip: see something new and visit the old Slave Mart, the setting for a scene in my first and horribly written novel, Marching to Zion.

Curiosity alone kept me checking on the place in the hopes of viewing the interior. It's now a museum, so we took a tour despite the $7.00/adult admission fee. Though disappointed by a few aspects--the building has changed hands several times since the closing of the market, so the interior isn't intact. Also, with exception of a few relics and old audio interviews, most exhibits consist of large displays with information printed on them--I learned much about the setup of the market, which is the information I needed for Zion. It was almost as bad as I imagined.

Next, we picked Charleston streets we've never seen and did a little car-touring. Then we parked in the garage at the corner of Cumberland and Concord (for we had no idea a garage existed there) and headed to the waterfront. First stop, lunch at Fleet Landing.




Also a new discovery. So I wouldn't resort to an old standby, I ordered the pan-seared redfish with Charleston red rice and the veggie of the day, which turned out to be collards. But because this was do-something-new-day, I tried them.

They're not half bad when mixed with Charleston red rice, otherwise....no.

So how did I handle visiting Charleston without the 18.55mm lens on my camera? I resorted to my roots:



Yes, that's me taking a shot with our little Canon. One of these days, I'll learn to leave the setting on Auto instead of Program. I overexposed the shot you see me taking.

After spending a few hours in Charleston, it was time to go home. Of course we planned on taking the scenic route up Hwy 17, past stands of sweetgrass baskets and remnants of South Carolina's history. This involved us traveling over the Ravenel Bridge. My new bridge shot:



I think I like this better than the previous one. We enjoyed the journey northward, but ran into a bit of a situation in Georgetown when we stopped at Hardees. While Kelley was indisposed, a large man wearing a kerchief and faded camouflage pants, and toting a large cami backpack came in the restaurant. After dumping his pack in a booth, he walked around the dining area, then came back to the serving area and began rapping nonsense in a low voice. This guy resembled a mountain man, a trapper of old, not a rapper. When I glanced over during his "song", I found him looking at me (I was the only person in that area) with a scowl on his face and anger in his eyes. Tired of bullies, I held his gaze for a moment then turned my attention on the menu. He went back into the dining room and sat down.

Weird.

We continued on the journey, stopping once more at Litchfield Books near Murrells Inlet. After purchasing a book on the history of the Waccamaw Neck (the backdrop for Fall in Eden/Autumn in Murrells Inlet and Heart of Eden) we headed home. An excellent trip despite mountain man and the eventual rain we encountered. Of all the photos we took, the following is my absolute favorite:



It was too good to pass up. So was the entire trip, conference and all.

No comments: