Sunday, October 11, 2009

Knit Pick

I'm learning how to knit. Trying to, at least. There's not a class in the city, so I'm trying to teach myself. I purchased Knit Book: The Basics & Beyond last January because it included a DVD along with written instructions and patterns. Unfortunately, the knitter in the video whips out the stitches. If you don't know what you're doing, you haven't a clue what they are.

A few months later, a contact on a social network sent me her old knitting book. It's extremely helpful even without a video, and I've relied on it for basic techiques as well as instructions on basic stitches.

Learning takes practice, so I've spent the last several months knitting winter scarves, usually with Lion Brand Fun Fur. Oh my, it's a hoot and I love it. But I'm tired of being a one-stitch wonder. So this week, I branched out into increasing and decreasing, and instantly got a headache.

From what I can tell, there are at least two, maybe three ways to increase (yarn-over and make-one), and two ways to decrease (knit together and skip-pass-knit or something like that.) Knowing which direction to wrap the yarn, or to knit in the front or back of the stitch gets complicated. Not only must a knitter learn how to do all with the knit stitch, she must also do it in purl. Yikes.

Why am I doing this to myself? I enjoy it. Despite the frustrations, I enjoy watching something attractive (mostly) form in my hands. It's almost uncanny, and I look forward to working on more complicated pieces.

And no, now that I'm clashing the needles, I'm not going to stitch together a crafty mystery.

No comments: