Thursday, October 08, 2009

Things Left Unspoken

I finished reading Eva Marie Everson's Things Left Unspoken. It took longer than expected, through no fault of the author. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted to read it, not make a mad dash through the prose to get a quick literary fix. It was a wise choice. The story is beautifully written, for which I'm thankful. How horrible to have lost my writing dreams only to be stuck with a book filled with absurdities and technical errors such as the one I left behind at DFW airport. But more than that, the characters project as real, compelling. They're people you may know, or who may have touched your life at some point. And along with so many women, I so related to the main character's situation, her hurting heart, and I read hoping to find answers of my own.

At one point, the plot took an unexpected turn that gave the story a bit of a mystery/suspense edge. My indifference to that element stems only from my expectations. I wanted to continue on with the relational issues, to work through my own as the characters work through theirs. But Ms. Everson weaved the story together very well and made it work. The lessons are there, as is the struggle of what to say and when to say it, and what to leave unspoken.

Ironically, I finished the book in a week in which I nearly lost one dear lady, and did lose another. I'd left far too much unspoken for too long with the one I lost, and when I realized it, it was too late. I didn't make that mistake with the other. How precious to be granted additional time to say "You are cherished" and "I love you."

Perhaps because of that, though I doubt it, Things Left Unspoken is a story I lived, not just read. A story that will stay with me for some time though the back cover is closed.

No comments: