Monday, April 26, 2010

Redeeming Time

I've been out of the office lately, so to speak. My daughter and grandson flew in from the west coast, and for the first time in three years, we had the privilege of spending time as a family. If my son-in-law had been present instead of serving his country on deployment, we would have had the entire family together for the first time ever.

Because these opportunities are so rare, we make the most of our visits, talking, laughing, spending time outdoors. We went to the beach, the aquarium, a local waterfowl park. Shared meals. Left behind well-intentioned "jabs" and animosity so easy to harbor under different circumstances. It will be weeks before we see one daughter. Months before we can visit the other and our grandson. Perhaps years before we once again gather on the beach to enjoy the sun, surf and each others company.




I'm grateful my children have learned to redeem the time instead of taking it for granted.

No comments: